The IELTS (the International English Language Testing System) examination is the world’s proven English test taken by over 3 million candidates each year. This English language test is used for those hoping to study or work in English-speaking countries. As such, there are two formats for the test: academic (for those hoping to attend an English-speaking university) and general (for those hoping to work in English-dominated careers).
The IELTS covers listening, speaking, reading, and writing and measures the candidate’s ability to use English to communicate in each category. Unlike other English language tests, the IELTS scores each candidate on a band from 0-9. A score of 0 means the candidate did not complete the exam. A score of 1 equals a non-English user, whereas a score of a 9 equals an expert English user.
Some organizations require candidates achieve a certain minimum score on the IELTS for admittance. Therefore, most test takers make it their goal to score as high as possible on the IELTS. With the right preparation and tools, it is possible to score a high score on the IELTS. Today, we’re telling you all the best ways to prepare for the IELTS and maximize your band score.
Study English in an English-Speaking Country
If you want to study or work in an English-speaking country, then it is important to learn English from native English speakers. The best way to do so is to surround yourself with them! For example, students who study English in Washington DC will be surrounded by people speaking English daily – everywhere they go. They will be immersed in the language and culture. Plus, there are several prestigious language schools in DC, like inlingua.
Take a Test Prep Course
In addition to taking English courses in Washington DC, it is also important to take test prep courses specifically designed to help you pass and earn a high score on this type of important test. Test prep courses teach students all they need to know about the IELTS itself, as well as teach them test-taking skills. Inlingua is also an English test center – actually, it is home to the largest IELTS test center in the US! Students who attend their school will be familiar with their IELTS test taking setting, which is quite the advantage.
Familiarize Yourself with the IELTS
Next, you must familiarize yourself with the test format. For example, the IELTS is broken into different sections with each section given a designated amount of time to complete. By understanding how much time each section receives, you will be better able to study and prepare for each section. Likewise, by familiarizing yourself with the types of test questions and prompts, you will feel more prepared on test day.
Use Official IELTS Materials
This blog is focused on all the ways and different sources you can use to prepare for the IELTS, but it is important to point out that it is critical to use official IELTS materials when possible. The IELTS website is full of helpful information for test takers. They also sell official IELTS practice materials to help prepare test takers.
Practice English Daily
We cannot emphasize the importance of practicing English daily enough! The IELTS is not a test you simply cram for the night before. It is just the opposite! This test will show whether you are a true English speaker or not. Therefore, the best way to prepare is to make a point of listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English every day. Again, this is why taking English courses in Washington DC at inlingua is such a wise decision.
Plus, Check Out the Following IELTS Prep Blogs
While we cannot stress the importance of taking English classes and test prep courses, we understand that some people still want to do a little more. If you are one of those students who feel like you need a little more IELTS practice or someone who wants to earn a nine-band score, then you will find these IELTS blogs helpful.
- IELTS Blog– A product of the British Council, this IELTS Blog is updated approximately two times a week and is full of helpful information for test takers. Additionally, you can sort the blog by IELTS test sections to find blogs covering the test section you are focusing on (reading, writing, speaking, or listening).
- IELTS Exam– This online blog has several free practice tests and questions broken down by the IETLS test sections. It also includes a mock test.
- IELTS Advantage– This is a well-respected IELTS blog that has evolved into a test prep course. However, site visitors can still find plenty of test prep materials, including downable improvement plans to help you achieve a better score.
- IELTS Official– While not a standard blog, the IELTS Official website posts regular tips and lessons to their Facebook page, such as IELTS Myth Busting. It is definitely worth following!
- IELTS Simon– One of the more popular IELTS blogs, is Daily Lessons with Simon, an ex-IELTS examiner. This blog includes tons of helpful hints and advice for test takers.
- IELTS Buddy– This blog is kept up to date with tons of blog entries to help students prepare of the IELTS, such as recent exam writing questions. You can also subscribe to be alerted when new material is posted.
- IELTS Liz– Liz is a trained IELTS examiner who has an outstanding IELTS preparation blog, as well as a YouTube channel and popular Facebook page. She posts lessons for all test takers, but she also has an advanced section of the blog dedicated to those wishing to achieve high scores.
- IELTS Network– Hosted by Ryan, this blog features blog posts and videos, such as real 2019 questions, as well as links to Ryan’s lesson-based podcasts for IELTS preparation.
We hope you use all of these resources to achieve the score you need on your IELTS to move on to achieving your dream of studying and working in an English-speaking country.