Prepare for IELTS with a free IELTS Practice Test. See below for details.
The check in begins at 7:50am. Please plan to arrive by 7:45am.
Please understand that you may have problems will traffic–plan to arrive early.
Anyone arriving after 8:30am will NOT be admitted – the doors close at 8:30am.
Candidates who are late or not approved for transfer (see below) will not receive a refund.
Please have your passport with you upon arrival. You will not be allowed to take the test without your passport.
Your writing, reading, and listening exam will start at 9:00am and end around 12:30PM.
Please make parking arrangements that allow you to park legally until at least 1pm.
Scroll down for important information about the following:
- Preparing for your test
- Transfer or Cancel
- Choosing the right module: Academic or General Training
- Clothing and Personal Belongings
- Test Schedule
- IELTS Office Hours at inlingua Arlington
- Test Results
- Enquiry on Results
- Rules and Advice
Your Speaking exam will be between 12:45PM and 7:05PM. A list of interview times will be available on the day of the exam. Please be present for your speaking exam at least 30 minutes before your interview time. If you are late for your interview, you will be counted as absent.
Note: We will collect ALL personal belongings before the morning exam AND again before the Speaking exam in the afternoon. Please bring only the minimum necessary items. Do not bring any valuables such as laptops, iPads, cell phones, electronic devices or any other items of value, as IELTS is not responsible for any loss.
Candidates are required to show their valid (not expired) passport at Registration and throughout the day. Candidates who do not bring their passport or whose passport is expired WILL NOT be permitted to take the test. Also, you must bring the same passport with which you registered for the exam.
PREPARE FOR YOUR TEST
- a) FREE IELTS PRACTICE TEST – Get an overview of the test with a variety of sample test questions and answers—to assist you in preparing for a real IELTS test: https://www.ielts.org/usa/ieltspracticetest
- b) NEW IELTS PREP AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
IELTS Progress Check provides access to online IELTS practice tests marked by official IELTS markers. Take an IELTS practice test for 95 USD, to get an indicative score and feedback on each section of the test within 5 days.
Purchase your IELTS Progress Checktoday!
Progress Check FAQs
TRANSFER OR CANCEL AN EXAM
To transfer or cancel an exam, a minimum of 5 weeks’ written notice must be given; otherwise the full fee is forfeited. Requests made via phone will not be considered. There are no refunds for postponements or cancellations less than 5 weeks prior to the test date, with the exceptions of documented emergencies.
Candidates who cancel their registration more than 5 weeks prior to the test date will receive a refund of 75% of the test fee: $180.
Candidates who miss a test for one of the following documented reasons may be transferred (rescheduled) to another test date or receive a refund:
- The candidate’s own medical emergency (medical documentation required from the date of the test).
- An emergency involving the police on the date of the test, such as a fire, break in, traffic accident (submit a police report that includes the name of the candidate).
- The funeral of an immediate family member: father, mother, sister, brother, spouse, or child (submit the death certificate).
Please submit your documentation to the manager at: email@example.com within 5 days of the test.
ACADEMIC OR GENERAL TRAINING?
**It is the candidate’s responsibility to know which module (Academic or General Training) that they are required to take.
Medical credentials: If you are a registered nurse, medical technician, applying for visa screen for CGFNS / ICHP, or a veterinarian, you may be required to take the ACADEMIC (not the general training) module of the IELTS exam. Immigration: Most countries require General Training.
University: Most universities require the Academic Module.
A light, indoor jacket may be permitted. You may not take off or put on jackets or other clothing in the test room during the exam. You must remove your hat during check in and leave it with your personal belongings (except for religious headwear).
BELONGINGS & PERSONAL ITEMS
Candidates are only allowed to bring their ID document, a drink in a transparent bottle with no words, and any pre-approved medical necessities.
You are not permitted to bring watches, wallets, hats, purses, bags, phones, recording devices, any electronic devices, food or other items into the test room—NO EXCEPTIONS. All personal belongings will be collected and stored in a secure room during check-in before the test. The center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
(Doors open for candidates at 7:50 and CLOSE at 8:30–no exceptions.)
7:50am – 8:45am – Belongings Check-in and Photo Registration Process: Please find your candidate number and color on the board in front of the elevators on the 3rd floor. Use the restroom immediately. Form a line near the entrance to Room 309. Turn the power of your cell phone off and have your passport ready. After checking in and having your photo taken, we will guide you to the waiting room and then to the test rooms.
9:00 am – Test begins (though NO new arrivals will be admitted after the doors close at 8:30am).
Listening Test (40 Minutes)
Reading Test (60 Minutes)
Writing Test (60 minutes)
The morning portion of the exam will end around 12:00 to 12:30pm
(Parking: Please arrange to park legally until around 1pm. See further Parking info below.)
12:45 – 7:05pm – Speaking Test (one-on-one interviews)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a payment receipt.
IELTS OFFICE HOURS at inlingua Washington DC:
Monday – CLOSED
Tuesday to Friday – 10am to 5pm
Test Report Forms (TRFs) are produced on the 13th day after the test.
Picking up Test Report Forms (TRFs): On the test date, there will be a sign up form for those who choose to pick up their TRFs on the issuing date after 11am at Inlingua English Center.
Address for picking up results: 1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Suite 400, Arlington, VA 22209.
Phone: (703) 294-6012; Email: email@example.com
Note: If you want someone to pick up your results for you, please email us the name of the person. They will need to show their identification when they arrive.
Mail: If you do not sign up to pick up your results, your TRF will be mailed to your home address and will typically arrive 16-20 days after the exam.
Important: Candidates will receive only ONE copy of their Test Report Form (TRF). This is a very valuable document and it is recommended that candidates take due care in keeping their TRF secure. It can not be replaced – please do not send your own test report to the institutions.
Institution copies: You must request Inlingua to send an official copy of your TRF directly to the institutions of your choice. We will send up to five copies to institutions for free within 30 days of your test date. If you need more copies to be sent to the institutions, they are $10 each. You can indicate on your online application the address of the receiving institutions before you take the test. If you decide to send your results to additional institutions, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org a completed copy of the Additional TRF Request Form.
Online preview of results: To preview your IELTS test result online, complete all fields (as they appear on this top portion of this confirmation email) at https://results.ielts.org.
- Given / Other Name(s)
- Family Name
- Passport Number
- Spaces that appear in your application and confirmation email will need to be entered as spaces, e.g.:
- Given / Other Name(s): John[space]A[space]F
- Passport Number: GB[space]7654398
The name fields are case sensitive – use capital letters only. The passport number field is not case sensitive. Candidates then select their date of birth and the test date.
The preview of your IELTS result is usually available online 13 days after your test date (though may be delayed by 24-48 hours), and will remain available for 28 days thereafter. Your official Test Report Form will be mailed to you 13 days after the test. (Disclaimer: The online preview of your test result may not be used as an official score report. IELTS International, the test center and the IELTS Partners give no guarantee as to the accuracy of the preview result, and will not accept any responsibility for an inaccurate score. IELTS International, the test center and the IELTS Partners will not accept any responsibility in the event that your result fails to display, whether due to technical fault or administrative procedures.)
ENQUIRY ON RESULTS:
If a candidate is not satisfied with his/her score, a procedure exists, which allows for the remarking of scores by a Senior Examiner whose decision is final. You need to make a request for re-marking of your scores via your Test Center’s IELTS Administrator. We need to receive all documents and payment for the appeal within 6 weeks of the test date. Contact your administrator at email@example.com for more details.
IELTS RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Provide proof of your identity (valid passport) every examination session. It is the responsibility of the candidate to prove their identity.
- Have nothing but your passport on your desk—we will provide you with pencils and erasers.
- Turn off the power of your cell phone and other electronic devices and place them with your personal belongings in the area designated by the supervisor. Any candidate who does not switch off their phone/pager, or who retains one in their possession, will be disqualified.
- Notify the test invigilator immediately of any problems, issues, or complaints.
You must NOT:
- Attempt to cheat, copy the work of another candidate or disrupt the test.
- Use, or attempt to use, a dictionary, pager, spell-checker, electronic recorder or mobile phone for the duration of the test. Any candidate doing so will be disqualified.
- Talk to or disturb other candidates once the examination has started. You also may not lend to or borrow anything from another candidate during the exam.
- Smoke, eat, or drink in the examination room.
- Reproduce any part of the test in any format/medium. Any candidate doing so will have their test results disqualified and be liable to prosecution.
- Remove any materials used during the examination. This includes, but is not limited to, examination papers, answer papers, and working paper.
- If you are caught infringing on any of the candidate rules and regulations your test result will be disqualified and notification of your disqualification will be sent to any receiving institution or professional body.
ADDITIONAL ADVICE AND INFORMATION
- In the afternoon, please come and check in 30 minutes before your scheduled Speaking interview time.
- Tell the invigilator at once if you think you have not been given the right question paper, or if there are other problems with your test materials.
- Listen to the supervisor and invigilator and do what you are asked to do.
- You may not ask for, and will not be given, any explanation of the questions.
- Read carefully and follow the instructions printed on the question paper. If you are in doubt about what you should do, raise your hand to attract attention. The invigilator will come to assist you.
- If on the day of the test you feel that your work may be affected by ill health or any other reason, you must inform the invigilator at that time.
- You may not leave the test room without the permission of the supervisor or invigilator.
- You cannot leave your seat until all papers have been collected and you have been told you can leave.
- Do not make any noise near the examination room.
- If you need further information, please go to: https://www.ielts.org/-/media/publications/information-for-candidates/ielts-information-for-candidates-english-uk.ashx
HOTEL AND AIRPORT INFORMATION
- The closest hotel is Holiday Inn. This hotel is within walking distance.
- The closest airport is Ronald Reagan National Airport, which is accessible via Metro.
There are two primary options for parking:
1) There are a variety of paid parking garages in the area around the test venue.
2) There is a large public parking lot in front of the test venue where you can pay using a credit card or the Parkmobile App.
Make sure your parking is paid until at least 1pm. (Note: the public parking lot only requires payment until 12:00pm on Saturdays and is free after that.)
For a Google Map of nearby paid parking garages, click here:
IELTS ADMIN OFFICE HOURS at inlingua Washington DC:
Monday – CLOSED
Tuesday to Friday – 10am to 5pm